Momma Holmes’ Stuffing and Gravy MinceFriday, 22 October, 2010
A pre-show feast
My mum used to make this for me and my three brothers as a quick and nutritious dinner during the winter. The smell reminds me of being back at home all those years ago when the family still existed as a single unit, all under the same roof. Cooking this recipe always makes me smile.
This recipe is also perfect for pre-show feasting! Its mix of veggie mince and wholemeal spaghetti provides energy enhancing carbs whilst not lying too heavy on the stomach!
A handful of veggie mince (frozen Quorn mince is my recommendation)
Half a tin of marrowfat peas
Sage and Onion dry stuffing mix
Veggie gravy – Bisto is a good choice
- Boil the water for the spaghetti, add a pinch of salt and place the spaghetti into the pan – leave this to cook whilst you make the mince mixture
- Heat a pan with a touch of water and add the veggie mince, leaving for a couple of minutes to start to cook
- Add a small cup of warm water and stir in 2 large spoonfuls of the gravy mix – keep stirring until there are no lumps (apart from the mince and the peas of course!)
- Add a large sprinkle of stuffing mix, some garlic pepper (to taste) and the peas and leave to heat for 7-10 minutes
- Drain the spaghetti, and place on the plate. Pour the mince mixture on top and serve! Voila!
This recipe is great as a winter warmer and because there’s no dairy (so your voice won’t be affected) and the ingredients aren’t too heavy it’s a great meal for scoffing just before a high energy musical performance or audition.
Add a few dashes of Worcester sauce or Tabasco for an extra kick.
(c) Vicki Holmes 21 10 2010
Photo (c) Thejase 2010